Hello Athletes and Parents,
Please read this message from top to bottom for important information about our upcoming championship regatta in Lowell, MA!
Date: Saturday May 17 through Sunday May 18, 2014.
Event Type: Sprint, 2000 meters.
Venue: Merrimack River, Lowell, MA.
Coaches & Coxswains Meeting: Friday, May 16, 2014 at 6:30 pm.
Course Map: Click here.
USRowing’s Information Packet: All athletes are responsible for understanding the contents of the information packet (revised April 4, 2014). LIGHTWEIGHTS AND COXSWAINS, pay particular attention to the Adjusted Weigh-in Window Clarification Language. This is a 2014 USRowing Rule change that received clarification language in March 2014 by the USRowing Referee Committee. If racing is delayed, this could affect you!
GPS Address: 500 Pawtucket Blvd, Lowell, MA 01854.
Parking for Spectators: Spectator parking will be in Welcome Field, across the street from UMass Lowell Bellegarde Boathouse, 500 Pawtucket Blvd. Lowell, MA 01854. The parking fee is $10. Click here for the LOC’s parking and venue map.
USRowing Schedule Change Notification: Coaches, athletes, and parents can register to receive weather-related text messages by texting “USRNortheast” to 313131.
The buses will leave the boathouse on Friday, May 16, at 10:00 am sharp! Athletes should arrive no later than 9:45 am to prepare for departure. We recommend that athletes eat prior to leaving home on Friday, or bring a bag lunch because the buses will not stop on the way to Lowell. The buses will depart Lowell Sunday, May 18 after racing concludes. There will be one stop made at the Charleton, MA Service Plaza for food. Please send sufficient funds with your athlete for this. Anticipated return time to the boathouse is at or around 9:00 pm. As always, phone calls will be made to parents when buses are 30 minutes away from Norwalk. Do not make the chaperones wait for you. Be on time to pick up your athlete.
Dinners for Friday, May 16 and Saturday, May 17 have been arranged by the Parents Committee. The athletes will eat at the Tewksbury Rod & Gun Club. The cost of meals for these two nights is NOT covered by your regatta/travel fee. As a reminder, collection of $30 total per athlete will occur Monday-Wednesday, May 12-14 at the end of practice. Regatta Co-Chair, Lorena Tavlarios, will be at the boathouse from 6:15-6:45 pm on these days to collect the dinner funds.
The team will stay at La Quinta, Andover Friday, May 16 through Sunday morning, May 18. The coaches and chaperones will stay with the team at the hotel. Room assignments have been made by the coaches.
This is the first overnight trip for many of our athletes, and there are rules that must be addressed:
1. Boys and girls are not permitted in the same hotel room at any time for any reason. Ever! Period! No exceptions!
2. Athletes must be in a hotel room at all times. There is no roaming, running, or congregating in the hallways. Under no circumstances may an athlete leave the hotel property.
3. Athletes will be in their assigned hotel room after 9:00 pm. Chaperones will seal each door with a piece of masking tape at 9:00 pm. If that seal is broken before morning, the athletes in that room will not be allowed to race.
4. Athletes will follow all chaperones’ instructions. Any disrespect will be dealt with severely.
5. The Norwalk River Rowing Eligibility and Participation Contract will be strictly enforced.
6. Athletes are responsible for waking up and being ready to leave the hotel on time.
Please plan for the weather. There will likely be rain on Saturday. Check weather conditions in Lowell when packing for the weekend.
Directions (from Google Maps) to Bellegarde Boathouse (500 Pawtucket Blvd, Lowell, MA 01854)
• I-95N to I-91N to I-84E to I-90E to I-495N
• From I-495 North take Exit 33 for County Route 4N toward N Chelmsford
• Turn left onto MA-4 N/N Road (go 1.6 mi)
• Continue onto Drum Hill Rd (go 0.3 mi)
• Continue on to Westford St (go 0.4 mi)
• Slight left on Wood St (go 0.4 mi)
• Continue onto Rourke Bridge (go 0.4 mi)
• Turn right on Pawtucket Blvd
• Boathouse will be 200 yards on the right
Lineups will be released by coaches, and are subject to change at coaches’ discretion.
See you in Lowell!
Norwalk River Rowing