Annual NRRA Community Challenge 2019
Training starts Tuesday, May 28
Race Day: Saturday, June 29
What is the NRRA Community Challenge?
- A fun rowing and team-building experience involving businesses, groups and friends.
- A fundraiser to support the organization, providing rowing experience to all regardless of age or income
What do you get?
- 5 weeks of learning to row and race preparation on the Norwalk River with a dedicated coach, starting May 28
- A promotion of teamwork, community spirit and camaraderie
- Fitness! Rowing is a whole body sport which incorporates cardio and strength training.
- A fun-filled finale of races, party and hilarity!
No previous experience is necessary!
Participants will learn basic boat handling & rowing technique through the first 3 weeks of the program. During this time, teams will develop rowing and racing skills through teamwork and common goals. The final 2 weeks will focus on race preparation, including practice races against other community crews.
Here’s a video that sums up the experience. Most of the rowers in this video have never rowed before participating in the Community Challenge program.
Exciting, right?!? You CAN do this! It really is great fun working as a team together.
Team Size – you put the boat together.
Neighbors! Friends! Co-workers! Bring your team!
Eights: 10 participants (8 rowers, 1 coxswain and a spare). At least 2 women must part of the team.
Price: $350/person; $3200 per boat
Corporations/Businesses: Community Challenge is a great way to work on Team building among your employees. Sign up a full boat, and we’ll take care of the rest.
Individuals: So you think this looks really fun, but you don’t have 9 other besties to join you, or maybe not a whole boat. That’s ok! Sign up as individuals, and we will do our best to find teammates for you. If we can’t, we will provide a refund.
Sign up Below!
One goal of the Community Challenge is to fund raise. As a non-profit organization, we aim to promote a lifelong passion for the sport of rowing for adult and youth athletes. All funds raised will support the organization as a whole. Each team will be asked to help go to friends, colleagues, family to raise a few bucks. The team who raises the most money receives a prize!
- Your body type and physical fitness are not barriers! Winning teams are the result of teamwork, enthusiasm, and determination.
- All participants must have basic swimming skills and sign a waiver.
- Ideally, coxswains should be small, have a strong voice, and like issuing orders!
Mon & Wed: 6:30-8:00 pm
Tue & Thu: 7:00-8:30pm
Custom times including some mornings may be available. Inquire.
Help spread the word! Let everyone know about the fun they could be having!